New Blog

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

February 5, 2010

#80- The Moebius Scarf!

I finished my first knit piece.  I love checking things off my 101 in 1001 list!  I made it on circular needles which made it was hard to gauge the right length (since I could never fully stretch it out).  So I went a tad bigger, starting with 170 rather than 150, than a few of the patterns I read said.  I wish it was just a TAD bigger around the shoulders, maybe a full 200.  Also seeing it on I might just take out the last row and add a few more inches.  But I like the color and pattern.  Oh, and I apologize now for my modeling "skills".  I am having a TERRIBLE hair crisis right now...  To keep growing out?  Or to cut...  Maybe on a good hair day I'll post some pictures and let you help me pick.  But for now, tired eyes and bad hair just get cropped to focus on the real fun...
moebius finished scarf knit
There weren't any patterns that I fell in love with out there, so I kind of made up my own.  I based it on "4 knit rows, 4 purl rows, repeat" pattern.  And while I love stripes that sounded too boring.  So I did 2 knit, 4 purl, 6 knit, 6 purl, 4 knit, 2 purl, repeat.  I did that 4 times.  I'm thinking one more time ought to do it.  But for now it's done. 
back moebius finished scarf stripes knit
I still can't believe I did it.  My first knit piece!  I actually picked up a learn to knit book a few years ago, but it was SO not helpful.  But this time I started with a book that I thought did a great job teaching.  It was the "I taught myself knitting" from boye.  I'm so proud!  It's so fun learning a new craft.  There are so many new things I want to make!  I already have a sweater picked out for #81, but I'm going to do a few other small projects before I tackle that one.  Also I need to find the right yarn for a full sweater.  Any advice?  The Moebius scar can be worn around your shoulders, around your neck OR
moebius scarf finished knit
doubled up around your neck for especially cold days!I like all these ways.  I'm worried that with extra width I won't be able to do the neck versions, but it will make the shoulder version nicer.  Maybe I'll leave this one as is, and start longer for another version, and go super wide for that one.  I'll have to think about it. 
moebius scarf neck wrap knit