New Blog

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

March 6, 2010

Scrunchy ruffles scarf

I saw this scarf and tutorial.  I went to the fabric store to look for some jersey, but it wasn't on sale and I thought, I bet I can find some jersey someplace else.  So while I was at the thrift store getting a frame for my calendar and I decided to look through the skirts.  I found this.  My favorite color in jersey with plenty of material.
black jersey skirt scarf sewing
I didn't have any black thread.  Since the reason I'm making this is 1) to use my machine before I start my quilt and 2) because I like it!  I decided to go with the navy thread and hope it didn't show up.  Luckily the elastic thread I had was black.  I cut the skirt in to 4 long rectangle panels and sewed them together. 
black jersey skirt cut out peices scarf
I'm sure it would be easier with just one nice long panel, but this skirt was only $1 so...  Win!  I also cut both ends apart to create thinner tails on the ends of the scarf.  So my scarf is 10 inches wide (with 5 inch wide ends). 

Thread the bobbin with the elastic thread by hand loosely. You'll also have to loosen the tension on the bobbin so it doesn't pull and break.  Thread the top of the sewing machine like normal.  You can use a straight stitch or zig zag or even an elastic stitch.   
elastic thread sewing machine jersey scarf
Start at one end in the center of the tail all the way to the other end.  Then the other tail, as well as the center.  I think my tension was too loose and it didn't scrunch as much as I'd hoped.  But when I tried it on I already wished it was longer, so more scrunch would only make it shorter so I decided to leave it.  It was quick and easy and cheap.  If I was to do it again I would make it narrower, longer and more scrunchy.  So I'll be on the lookout for another jersey skirt!
black jersey scarf scrunch elastic finished
I tried to take a picture of myself but my bathroom has no natural light, no mirror in the house does, so it's difficult to take my own picture.  I'll try to get my husband to do it for me one of these days.