New Blog

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

February 22, 2010

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my Mom's birthday. When I was visiting last week I noticed that my sister had given her a family picture with hand prints on the mat. SO cute. So when I got home I thought it would make a great gift, so I totally copied it!  I went out and found a frame at DI and repainted it.  It took forever because for some reason, I think it's the cold weather, the paint was curdling (best way to describe it).  I sanded it down between each layer, and ended up painting it 4 times (one red, 3 black).  Then I sanded down the edges for a rough look with a bit of the red showing through.  It still wasn't perfect but I was pleased with it in the end.
black paint over red frame mess
For the hand prints we tried both paint and a stamp pad out on some scrap paper.  We went with the paint in the end.  It was a more true black.  Although my 2 1/2 year old moved her pinky so it looks like she has 6 fingers!  We even got George's (our pet pig) hoof print on the mat.  So now Mom has 2 out of 3 (Chelsea, your turn!).  Happy Birthday Mom!
hand print family picture frame mat gift handprint