New Blog

This is an out of date blog, for these posts and all current projects please head over to

I'm Topsy Turvy

for any interest in ordering cakes please head to

topsy turvy cakes

January 15, 2010

Lego suckers???

So today I attempted to make Lego suckers. I ended up with plain hard candy. But it didn't go as smoothly as the gummie's did. Here is the recipe I went with
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/3 light corn syrup
1/2-1 1/2 teaspoons flavoring
Food coloring
Mix all the ingredients together in a saucepan. Cook it over med-high heat, stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Boil until it reaches the hard-crack stage, which is about 300 degree on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat and add food coloring slowly, then add the flavoring. Pour slowly into the molds. Don't worry about any bubbles, they'll go away on their own.
It went totally smooth until it came to the part to put the flavor in. I went with the wrong one! My son smelled them all and picked Cinnamon, so I picked up the red bottle and poured it in. But it was CHERRY! Ewwwwww Then we poured it into the mold.
lego mold hard candy sucker
I thought the gummie's thickened quickly. These suckers started going hard so fast I couldn't even spread it around very well. Then the sticks wouldn't stay in the big suckers and I couldn't get the base plate to stick into it (too hard by the time I tried, so they can't stack. Oh well, live and learn. It was fun to try and fairly simple, now that I know what NOT to do, I think we'll end up trying it again soon!
Photobucket